St Matthews Community Centre, Arncliffe Gardens, Hartlepool, TS26 9JF
St Matthew’s has been at the heart of the Elwick Road area community for over 100 years. Originally built as a mission church of All Saints, Stranton, it was converted into a Parish Hall in 1945. In the 1960s a second smaller hall was added. From 2003, gradually an extensive programme began, to renovate the whole building and upgrade the facilities, in order to become a Community Centre serving the local community.
Roofing, heating and lighting have been renewed. Now the main hall provides a large versatile space for badminton, dance, youth and children’s activities and meetings. The creation of 3 meeting rooms, a kitchen and an office, with access from Arncliffe Gardens, has enabled provision for small community groups and meetings.
St Matthew’s Community Centre aims to be a welcoming and affordable space for the local community. We are a ‘not for profit’ organisation, run by volunteers.